LCCG Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bunch of field spells

3 posters

Go down

A bunch of field spells Empty A bunch of field spells

Post by Aquamarius Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:53 am

So there's this thing that's been really bothering me about a lot of Field Spells. They tend to support certain kinds of monsters, but your opponent, if he so happens to have one of those kinds of monsters, then he'll benefit from the field spell as well. In other words, you will occasionally go up against deck which will obtain a random and unfair advantage over you. You have no control over this. Seeing as this is an obvious source of potential frustration, and as it adds almost no depth or fun to the game, I decided to put this up. These are all the field spells I could find which can give your opponent an unfair advantage if he happens to run monsters that benefit from them, as well as updated versions of them that do not have these issues. I also remade them in PSCT, because PSCT is awesome. An important thing to note is that if a Field Spell turns out to be overpowered after these changes, that actually means it was overpowered all along: except in the past it had a random chance of being nigh-useless.

lotsofcards:
Aquamarius
Aquamarius

Back to top Go down

A bunch of field spells Empty Re: A bunch of field spells

Post by Ash Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 am

you seem to not realize that this is basically how fields should be, both design and flavour-wise

adversely, don't center your deck on field spells
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:34 am

to expand, i want to point to common themes people use in field spell these days - a source of continuous search power and incremental advantage increase. cards like dragon ravine, spellbook tower - these cards are overpowered and give the player a ridiculous amount of resources for simply having the card in their deck. this is most certainly not how field cards should be - they are a strategic tool, like every other card. they most certainly not be a "play me gg" card which is what seems to be the norm.

i wish to also point to an argument i made when sea had a card idea that would allow multiple field cards on the field from either player - this detracts from the strategic nature of the cards in which you should know when to play and hold them against other decks that utilize field spells, this is one of the very few parts in the game that requires real thought.
- are they also holding a field?
 - if so, how much usage can i get from mine before they play theirs over?
  - can i play mine and disrupt theirs from getting on the field over mine?
   - is their field spell recyclable? do i wait until i can break their field before i utilize mine?
    - can i stay in the game and bait out their field and counter with my own?

field spells are one of the very few themes in the game that require constant thought like this in a game in which both players utilize them.

aquamarius, you seem to be of the thought that they should be a continuous free resource for you, as opposed to being an actual interactive part of the game (which all cards should be) - and other people seem to be following this theme as well.

i do however feel that some of the older field spells can be buffed - but only because they have very little relevance to deck-types and overall playability.

now, i did mention flavour and i suppose i should expand:

they are called "Field Spell" cards, that is spells that produce a change to the game field. not the owners field - the whole field. a field spell card is intended to set an effect for the entire field, and it is by this basis that many field spell cards can also interact with your opponent (again player-to-player interaction). this also lends itself to strategic use though - do you play your field spell first turn blindly if there is a possibility that it might assist your opponent? the answer is no, obviously. wait until a moment that is optimal for yourself and has no affect on your opponent. you should have to think about the cards you play, not just have the mind set that if you have a field spell you have to play it, or the even worse one that it should exist as a free resource system for yourself.

good day.
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by EMSOUP Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:54 am

Yeah, field spells these days are glorified Cont.Spells that's more searchable in exchange to be more limited in usage.
EMSOUP
EMSOUP

Back to top Go down

Post by Aquamarius Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:00 am

Great post, thank you. Convinced me, that's for sure.
Aquamarius
Aquamarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down