LCCG Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters)

+3
DIGITAL
CNo.101 S.H.Death Knight
Anime Girl References
7 posters

Go down

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Empty Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters)

Post by Anime Girl References Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:15 pm

I could go on about how Level 1-3 Monsters should apply...butnobodygivesafuckaboutthemexceptforsynchros

TELL ME YGO PLAYER, WHAT DO ALL MONSTER CARDS, EFFECT, RITUAL, SYNCHRO, XYZ, FUSION AND NORMAL, HAVE IN COMMON?

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Derp1
When you use Effect Monsters, you are filling your deck with a massive assortment of options, assuring your victory and that every card can do something. Effect Monsters take up around 95% of every single pack distributed in the current YGO circuit, and Normal Monsters are very far and in between. Most of them rely solely on their ATK/DEF to assure their existence, while Effect Monsters rely on their Effects to assure their grounds. Many effect monsters can protect themselves with the amount of effects they can gain, and destroy other monsters without the need to attack, or being able to attack at all.

So if you had to choose between using a Normal Monster and an Effect Monster, which had the same ATK/DEF, which one would be more useful? The Effect Monster. Yes, monsters with bad effects exist, and Normals with horrible stats, but we aren't talking about them.

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Derp2

That is the problem. Normal Monsters were supposed to be the Monsters with the best ATK/DEF, and the Effect Monsters were supposed to be the ones with powerful utilities and abilities at their disposal to justify their less-than-awesome stats. this has eventually been reversed, since now, having 100% of your deck consist of Effect Monsters, with a few that have the same general stats as a powerful Normal Monster, have phased their role out completely.

This affects the ATK/DEF/EF Status Quo, and is considered a power creep. When cards that weren't intended to be stronger than the cards meant to destroy them, but are not addressed, then the standards are set higher and readjust what is the highest in the game.

The Generalized Roles are:

Normal Monsters have higher ATK/DEF than many Effect Monsters, and Effect Monsters have less ATK/DEF than Normals, but make up for it with their effects. An Effect Monster may have higher ATK/DEF than a Normal Monster, but must not cause a power creep. Now, in this CCG, there are Effect Monsters that drastically outdo most Normal Monsters completely. We can't simply reduce the ATK/DEF of the Effect Monsters, because that would not be fair to their card's creators.
Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Derp4

WHILE YOU SLAVE AWAY AT YCM AND GENERATE IT AND SHOW IT TO YOUR FRIENDS...

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Derp5

CARDS ARE MADE THAT SEEM TO LIGHTLY SKIRT the ATK/DEF/EF Status Quo. ATK/DEF that was once reserved for Normal Monsters begins to be used by Effect Monsters, although their effect(s) don't seem to be very core or strong.

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Derp6

Even if the Effect of the Effect Monster is unlikely, if it is neutral then it is already affecting the ATK/DEF/EF Status Quo, by increasing the acceptable amount of ATK/DEF an Effect Monster can have. Effects that only "feel" like Drawbacks, but are not, and Effects that are unlikely or slightly-unusable begin to take the beatstick role away from the Normal Monsters, re-stealing it's place in the deck, once again.

Even if God Damn Goat's chance of killing a Level 6+ is extremely unlikely, the fact that it has an effect at all greatly increases the amount of usage it will have over the usage that Fapbunny Black Ops will get.

WHAT IS THE MORAL OF THIS STORY?

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Derpu7-1
Anime Girl References
Anime Girl References

http://www.itjustbugsme.com

Back to top Go down

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Empty Re: Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters)

Post by CNo.101 S.H.Death Knight Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:39 pm

aside the hilarity of those pics, it was true that in the beginning when yugioh starts Effect monsters are are low in ATK/DEf while in their effects proven to be good. like for example Man-Eater bug or hane-hane, they were good and normal monsters cannot stop their effect. but because of coming up idea of effects make konami believe they worth more money to collect from so they continue it like crazy then slowing making them going up to par with normal monsters then surpass them given like Super Conductive Tyranno or so.
CNo.101 S.H.Death Knight
CNo.101 S.H.Death Knight

Back to top Go down

Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters) Empty Re: Status Quo: ATK/DEF/EF Potency (Level 4 Monsters)

Post by DIGITAL Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:14 pm

now im going to make a snowman archtype -_- good points though, very insightful
DIGITAL
DIGITAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Tungsten Butterfly Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 am

Blue-Eyes: Hey, man.
SC-Tyranno: Yo, Blue-Eyes, what's up?
Blue-Eyes: I just got word that you have 3300 ATK, is this true?
SC-Tyranno: Yup. Pretty awesome, huh?
Blue-Eyes: And...you have a perfectly okay effect instead of a bad one, or a restriction.
SC-Tyranno: But I have 1400 DEF, so if I like, get switched to defense mode I can get killed off by a Level 4 so it's all alright.
Blue-Eyes: Yes, but you have 3300 ATK. That's kind of a problem man. You have more ATK than me AND an effect. Man, that ain't far, regardless of your defense bro, you can just shock people in the face for damage. I can't do that.
XXI The Moon: Greetings, everyone.
Blue-Eyes: ....3100 ATK and DEF? What?
XXI The Moon: Oh, yeah. But at my horrible cost of making the opponent topdeck a card from the graveyard...
Blue-Eyes: But you have like a 50% chance of permanently fucking up the opponent's turn....
XXI The Moon: But 50% is a vast and unfair fate at the flip of a coin, oh, this effect can be such a burden sometimes. Plus Tyranno has 3300 ATK, mine is 200 below it.
Blue-Eyes: But! Dude! I don't get an effect at ALL! The only thing I can do is run people over with my 3000 ATK! Now that people like you guys exist, why would anyone use me? You have more ATK than I can and also have effects, so like....shit bro.
XXI The Moon: But you can be Special Summoned by stuff.
Blue-Eyes: So can the both of you! none of us have summoning restrictions.
SC Tyranno: .....well I'm a Dinosaur-type! that balances it out, right?
Tungsten Butterfly
Tungsten Butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:03 am

blue eyes has a shitload of support and is more usable than moon and tyranno

thanks for pointing out what should be obvious though
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by AsianGuy1137 Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:17 am

Wait... you mean I'm not supposed to be using DinoRabbit turbo for GG?!?! I've been doing it wrong all these months...
AsianGuy1137
AsianGuy1137

Back to top Go down

Post by Anime Girl References Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 am

Wait... you mean I'm not supposed to be using DinoRabbit turbo for GG?!?! I've been doing it wrong all these months...

Well we don't have DinoRabbit here. Plus, the key card in that is the Rabbit, and not the Normal Monsters, really. Either way I want more Normal Monster Faggotry to go on and they can't do that with Elite Effect Beatsticks being all "im so fresh you can suck my stars, swag".
Anime Girl References
Anime Girl References

Back to top Go down

Post by AsianGuy1137 Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:55 am

If yugioh was more like MtG we wouldn't have this problem... My god, the conversion has already started...
AsianGuy1137
AsianGuy1137

Back to top Go down

Post by Seattleite Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:18 am

AsianGuy1137 wrote:If yugioh was more like MtG we wouldn't have this problem... My god, the conversion has already started...

I have to agree... as much as I like yugioh, MTG lets players balance cards more creatively than just altering the ATK / DEF (mana costs and stuff). But unfortunately for us, Lv4 monsters are the exact same as Lv1 monsters, just with a different label.
Seattleite
Seattleite
Admin

http://duelportal.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Anime Girl References Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Seattleite wrote:
AsianGuy1137 wrote:If yugioh was more like MtG we wouldn't have this problem... My god, the conversion has already started...

I have to agree... as much as I like yugioh, MTG lets players balance cards more creatively than just altering the ATK / DEF (mana costs and stuff). But unfortunately for us, Lv4 monsters are the exact same as Lv1 monsters, just with a different label.

Plus, they've been around longer and have a workforce devoted to making sure that overpowered cards can be justified in some manner rather than just be printed out and forgotten out until the next format comes out. Plus, you can actually contact WotC to discuss cards and have the company behind them actually read said discussions and receive feedback and evaluate problems.

Yugioh, um, not so much, unless you can read/write Japanese, since the Konami branch here answers to the one in Japan and they don't really care about what the Americans have to complain about since they are merely the money farm and not the reception demographic.

Either way, I think I might start a Gen Synchro/Xyz thread next concerning that.
Anime Girl References
Anime Girl References

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down